Apples are superb in cakes, so in the autumn when there are lots of windfalls around, why not make a few of these Delia Smith - Chunky Apple Cakes and freeze them.
Delia Smith – Chunky Apple Cake -Ingredients
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1 rounded teaspoon baking powder
- 1 level teaspoon mixed spice
- ½ level teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 Bramley apples (about 550g)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 75g spreadable butter
- 175g light brown soft sugar
- grated zest of 1 large orange
- 1 tablespoon chopped mixed peel
- 1 tablespoon milk (if needed)
- a little icing sugar
Delia Smith – Chunky Apple Cake – The Method
- a 20cm loose-based round tin, buttered and base lined
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4
- Begin by sifting the flour, baking powder and spices into a roomy mixing bowl, lifting the sieve quite high to give the flour a good airing as it goes down. Next chop the apples into small dice (with or without peel, just as you like). Then place them in a bowl and toss them with one tablespoon of the sieved flour mixture.
- Then add the eggs, butter and sugar to the rest of the flour and, using an electric hand whisk, combine them for about 1 minute until you have a smooth, creamy consistency. After that fold in the grated orange zest, mixed peel and diced apple.
- If the mixture seems a little dry, add a tablespoon of milk. Now spoon the cake mix into the prepared tin and level it off with the back of a spoon. Then bake the Delia Smith – Chunky Apple Cake near the centre of the oven for about one hour or until the cake feels springy in the centre when lightly pressed with a fingertip and just shows signs of shrinking away from the edge of the tin. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. This Delia Smith – Chunky Apple Cake looks nice dusted with sifted icing sugar just before serving. Store in an airtight tin.
You can find this Delia Smith – Chunky Apple Cake and more mouth-watering recipes like this in Delia’s Fantastic New Book – at Delia’s Cakes out now at Amazon.